Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Carol’s Summer Garden

We could use a super-sized dose of summer cheer. Unfortunately, our weather in the north is unwilling to play by the rules - "Hello! It's supposed to be in the 20's in February and 30's and 40's in March!" Clearly Mother Nature did not get the memo this year.

So, how about some cheery pictures of my first finish of 2014? Besides the cats, of course.

Warning: Lots of pictures ahead! If you are reading this blog from a reader, you may want to go to the actual website as sometimes readers will parse some of the pix.


Carol's Summer Garden is for my sister who has THE most beautiful perennial gardens this side of the Mississippi! I do believe she is one of my biggest cheerleaders and besides all her other wonderful qualities, she's a super sweetheart!  You can read about my progress with this quilt here and here.




I was hoping for a reasonably warm day to snap some pictures outside. That wasn't happening but we had some nice sunshine on Saturday so I bundled up and gave it a whirl. Our household enjoys irony and I thought it a bit ironic that I should photograph Carol's Summer Garden in the snow.  :P

   
Despite the blustery wind gusts, I got a few shots before moving back inside. The sunshine really made the quilting stand out though.


The pattern is Do Si Do designed by Faye Hoch with Twin Cities Quilting - a fabulous quilt shop in Minneapolis. It is an easy pattern that is fat quarter friendly and fun to put together. (I have already purchased material to make another one.)


I added a pieced border of my leftover blocks and strips to make this quilt a whopping 110"x95". The fabric collection is Snap Pop by Sandy Gervais for Moda which I purchased through the online quilt shops Burgundy Buttons and Old South Fabrics.

   

I adore the striped binding fittingly called Snap Pop Cloud Rain Squiggle Stripe.


I added a little "Snap Pop" into the backing using Mosaic Rain from the collection and Bella solid Lime. I quilted it at The Quilting Connection in New London with a lot of help from Angie there.


The colors are amazing and just squeal Summer!!


In the meantime, can you just picture curling up with this on a sunny window seat right now with a good book? Hopefully watching the snow melt outside?
 
Random Thoughts

  1. I gave up caffeine in a very small effort to improve my (women's) health. I still drink coffee but choose decaf instead. I really miss how I just didn't get tired during the day. Now, around 2:00, one may find me napping at my desk. 
  2. I'm going to try making some black bean brownies today. Not really sure why other than I want to get rid of a can of black beans that has been sitting in the cupboard for about 6 months. I'll let you know how this one goes. With beans the primary ingredient, literally, I'll let you know how it goes.

Life is good! It just is!

TTFN

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you laid this beautiful piece of art on the snow??? The sunshine really emphasized the colors and stitching, but really what were you thinking? Your pattern and color choices are remarkable and I can see Carol smiling already. You are a star Annette!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are sounding as practical as Mr.Left Brain! Imagine the look on his face when I asked for his help with the photo shoot.

      Delete