Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Follow me??

I am switching over to Word Press for my blog because it's way simpler for a non-technical person like myself. So, if you subscribe to this blog via one of the readers, can you please change the address to my page to nettestudio23.wordpress.com  I hope that you continue to follow me - I appreciate every single reader I have. You guys make it worthwhile to continue to do this!!!! Below is my most recent post over at word press.


March 23 / 2014

A VIP WIP

The weekend before last, Mr. LB went to Minneapolis to visit with our son and have some father/son bonding time. They went to the auto show and picked up one of these for me:

IMG_0741
A girl can dream, right?
Anyway, with Mr. LB out of the house, I had most of Friday and Saturday by myself – just me, fabric, thread and my sewing machine. {Insert the sound of angels singing here.}

IMG_0714

I have this deadline looming over my head that needed some serious attention. And you know, while I don’t like making long term goals, I’m always up for the challenge of setting goals to accomplish in the short term. Sort of like lists but just in my head.

IMG_0716
 
You see one of my sisters is getting married at the end of April. Who doesn’t love a wedding? But the cool thing about this one is that my sister is 54 and this is her first marriage. I guess she was just waiting for Mr. Right!! So, this wedding, this marriage deserved something BIG! Something REALLY big! Something COLOSSAL!
Well, really it’s just because they have a king-sized bed.

IMG_0712

I had started this quilt way back in December thinking I had plenty of time. It’s the Pinwheel Paradise quilt from one of Pam and Nicky Lintott’s jelly roll books. After all they had been engaged a whole year without setting a date; I figured it would be awhile. It was at Christmas that they announced they would be marrying April 25. What? April 25? As in 4 months from now? All work on other projects had to cease. Now you know how hard it is for those of us who are deficit in the attention department to work on ONE thing until it’s done, right?!?!

IMG_0718

So on aforementioned weekend, some serious sewing was to commence. I was about half way done with the quilt and set a goal to complete 17 blocks that weekend. With 56 blocks in this quilt, this thing is BIG! (see above – 100″ x 110″) and each block took about an hour to complete – there’s a lot of coordination of the colors, HSTs to be made, pressing, pressing and more pressing. Oh gawd the pressing!

IMG_0719

The weekend started out real strong and I even initiated an Instagram campaign that my (six) followers could join in on (HA!). By Saturday morning at 2am, when I finally called it a night, I had completed nine blocks.

IMG_0724

IMG_0721

In the wee hours of Saturday morning, I took a break from sewing to lay out the remaining block colors.
After a couple hours rest and some much needed housework, I was back at the drawing (well, sewing/cutting/pressing) table.

IMG_0733

By the time I laid this block out on Saturday afternoon, I was wishing they would sew themselves. But I persevered.

IMG_0731

By Saturday’s end, the last set of HSTs were cut, sewn and trimmed and 15 blocks had been completed.
The cool thing about this quilt is once a block is sewn, and subsequently a row is sewn, the vertical and horizontal sashing is also added. I can’t imagine the logistical nightmare it would have been to sew all the blocks and save the sashing until the end.

IMG_0728

No, I don’t sew over pins. (If you could see me now, you would see that my fingers are crossed behind my back to protect me from the lie I just told).
Mr. LB and our son (he was on spring break) came back about 8pm on Saturday and I called it quits for the day recognizing that you CAN have too much of a good thing. (We went to Culver’s for some much needed nourishment!)

IMG_0737

By Sunday afternoon I had reached my goal leaving seven more blocks to complete this past week.

IMG_0740

Which I finished on Friday. Since then, the borders have been added and I have a date with Angie at The Quilting Connection for quilting on April 11. And . . . . that’s the last you’ll see of it until she sees it.
So a Very Important Person Work in Progress indeed! I think you’ll agree!
This post, I’m trying something new and I’m linking up to Freshly Pieced’s Wednesday Work in Progress!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

Because the post is already so long, I’m forgoing Random Thoughts. Please forgive.
Life is good! It just is!
TTFN – Annette

No comments:

Post a Comment